Friday, April 13, 2012

Norwegians and mojitos in Key West

( FOOD FOR THOUGHT at  www.truthcaster.com )



Norwegians and mojitos in Key West:
I’ll be honest, there’s virtually nothing Norwegian–or even Scandinavian, for that matter–about this post (other than the fact that I’m writing it). But, you see, I just got back from Key West with my husband and my parents, so can you blame me? Other than this delicious Norwegian smoked salmon we found at Grand Cafe on Duval Street, Key West is about as far away as you can get from Scandinavian.


Rather, the setting called for Caribbean- or Cuban-style preparations of the local grouper and hogfish, surf and turf made with Florida lobster, rum-based drinks (no aquavit in sight), and an abundance of conch fritters.
I’ll regain my focus soon, well, as soon as I can get my suitcase unpacked. But in the meantime, enjoy a refreshing mojito (recipe follows) and take a look at the beauty of this place, the southernmost part of the continental United States.













Okay, now back to that mojito I mentioned. There are few mojitos in this world worth drinking. I mean it. Most are watered down with too much club soda and quickly-melting ice. Others are just too syrupy sweet.
A few years ago my husband set out to find the perfect mojito recipe. After multiple efforts, and thanks to some very patient friends (who, I must add, managed to keep their heads on straight despite the tastings), he found it. It’s really quite simple, but it requires fresh, quality ingredients and precision. Without those two things, don’t even bother.
Mojito fit for a Norwegian in Key West

My husband was generous enough to share his secrets to making the perfect mojito. So here you have it, THE mojito, from my husband and adapted from Hemingway & Bailey’s Bartending Guide to Great American Writers.
10-12 mint leaves

2 ounces light rum

1 ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice

3/4-1 ounce simple syrup, to taste, depending on the tartness of the limes*

Club soda

Lime slice, for garnish

Mint sprig, for garnish
Muddle mint leaves in an old-fashioned glass. Add lime juice, simple syrup, and rum. Fill glass with crushed ice. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with lime slice, mint sprig, and a small straw for stirring.
Serves 1.
*We make our simple syrup with a one-to-one ratio of sugar to water; some people do two-to-one, but trust me, you don’t need it any sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment