Friday, April 13, 2012

Tosca Cake

( FOOD FOR THOUGHT at  www.truthcaster.com )


Tosca Cake:

I have a thing for baking cakes these days. Recently there’s been the Norwegian Orange Honey Cake, the Old-fashioned Rhubarb Cake, and the Swedish Brandy Butter Cake, but I think my favorite might be the Tosca Cake (actually it’s a tossup between the Brandy Butter Cake and this one–try them both and let me know what you think). A light golden cake with a caramel and almond topping, the Tosca Cake is packed with delicious flavors, and the hearty topping is a nice textural contrast to the soft cake.
When I think of Tosca, I think of the opera by Puccini, one of my all-time favorites. I got to see Seattle Opera’s production a few seasons ago, and was captivated with the music. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that the setting–Rome–is close to my heart. In just a few short weeks I go to my first opera as a subscriber. I’ve seen a number of them over the years, and just decided to go ahead and take the plunge. Coming up first: Tristan und Isolde. I can’t wait! Just like I can’t wait to bake this cake again.
Norwegian Tosca Cake, or Toscakage

Adapted from The Great Scandinavian Baking Book
Cake:

3 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 cup butter, melted

3 Tablespoons milk
Topping:

1/3 cup butter

1/2 cup almonds (the original recipe calls for slivered blanched almonds, but sliced ones would also be pretty)

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup whipping cream
Start by making the cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9- or 10-inch springform pan. Using a stand mixer, beat the eggs until they turn foamy, then beat in sugar until well-incorporated. Add vanilla. Sift four and baking powder together to combine, then fold into the batter.
In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter and the milk, then add to the batter, stirring until blended. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35 minutes.
During the final third of the baking time, melt butter in an 8- or 9-inch pan over medium heat, then add the almonds and briefly toast them so they turn golden. Add sugar and cream, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly and taking care so it doesn’t burn. The caramel with gradually take on a medium tan color and thicken slightly–that’s perfect! Remove it from the heat and pour it over the cake.
Broil the cake briefly to further caramelize the topping. It’s done when it turns golden and bubbles slightly.
Serves 8-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment